Monday, July 29, 2013

My First 10K

Can you believe despite all the races I have run I have never done a 10K? Well, on Saturday I finally did my first one and had a blast trail racing. I forgot how excited I get on trails and how much I love it.


Lauren drove us out to Lake Chabot bright and early and we picked up our bibs. Waited around for the 10K to line up and before we knew it we were off. This was the first time racing with my Garmin and I had no problems and it didn't hinder me like I though it might. Th first 1.5 miles was on a paved trail with small rolling hills. I clocked a 9:40 for the first mile but noticed the course was running long. Ended up being a 6.4 mile run rather than 6.2

After we hit dirt things started to get more difficult. There was a 900 foot climb to the top of mile 3.2 so basically I climbed for over a mile and it was EXTREMELY steep. I managed OK and enjoyed the challenged but clocked a 15 minute mile for mile 3. YIKES.

I managed to get back a little big of that time but forgot how bad I am at racing down steep hills. I struggled and nearly slipped a few times. Once we hit pavement again I picked up the pace a lot and raun the last 1.5 miles with an average of 8:50 min miles and crossed the finish line strong and so happy.

Lauren wasn't far behind and we both agreed the race was super fun. The after race food was awesome, too. They had It's Its!! YUM.

Final time: 1:10:47
8/33 age group
114/313 overall

No comments:

Post a Comment