Thursday, July 18, 2013

Listening to my body (part II)

Despite getting a  massage after my poor excuse for a seven miler Saturday I still took Sunday and Monday to rest as I typically do this training schedule. Monday is usually yoga and Sunday is always full rest. Tuesday I laced back up and stretched like a mofo before an easy short run. I ran at my normal pace and felt fine. I stretched and rolled afterwards and did squats and lunges and called it a day. Then yesterday my shins were on fire all morning. I have no idea why as I usually don't have shin issues and I have been pretty much on an extreme cutback the last week.

This morning I laced back up again and headed up for another easy three miles and felt great and pain free and my shins hurt less. But now I am nervous about my long run and if my body will revolt to 13 miles after only having to run 22 miles the last week and a half.

Perhaps I need new shoes? I realized I have about 400 miles on these guys I am running in right now. For now I am a bit frustrated and scared about getting injured but also scared about not sticking to my training plan. I figure listening to my body is more important than junky miles if I want to get to the start line healthy. I am also reassessing my idea of a sub 4:30 and just wanting to finish.

Sigh. I realize writing solely about running (no pun intended) is so very self-indulgent but I really like to externalize all of these thoughts and keep track of progress. So with that, on to the rest of the week and hopefully less pain and more smiling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment