Thursday, September 27, 2012

Katharine Hepburn Brownies and a phone date with a far away friend


"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of chocolate."- Katherine Hepburn

Getting older has more benefits then it has downfalls. I have more money to spend on things I love, I get to set my own schedule and do things by my own rules, and I can eat brownies for dinner just because I want to.

However, getting older also means busier schedules, distance between friends and family and a lack of time for anything more than work, the grocery store and a trip to the gym.

Tonight I declined the offer to go out with drinks with some co-works because I really just wanted a quiet night at home baking and reading the new Food and Wine issue.

While at home hunkering down, the phone rang, it was my dear friend Emily. A friend who I share a birthday, hair color and love for finding humor in the small things in life. Chatting on the phone for hours with her was blissfully relaxing and made me realize how great it is to see how a friendship can survive distance and time. We had a blast catching up and I am so lucky to have so many talented friends. (Emily runs a restaurant and has a dual degree in culinary arts and business.)

After hanging up with Em I started thinking about friendship, laughter and chocolate. This led me to bake Katharine Hepburn's famous brownies recipe to celebrate the small things that get knocked out of the way in our busy lives: friends, laughter, and chocolate.
“Life can be wildly tragic at times, and I've had my share. But whatever happens to you, you have to keep a slightly comic attitude. In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh.” ― Katharine Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn's Brownie's

Perfect Texture! I ate two in a sitting.
1 stick unsalted butter,
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate (I used Ghiradelli 100% cacao)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
1⁄4 cup flour
1⁄4 tsp. fine salt

Heat oven to 325°. Grease an 8" x 8" baking pan with butter. Line the pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Set the pan aside.

Melt the butter and the chocolate together in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to make a smooth batter. Add the flour, and salt; stir until incorporated. Pour the batter into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40–45 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Cut and serve.

(I added walnuts to the top of my batter) Enjoy warm with a cup of tea or some milk. Mmm!

1 comment:

  1. You are beautiful. Your blog brings light to my life:) I'm going to share it for you via facebook and use some of your recipes for the restaurant blog if that's okay?:)

    ReplyDelete