Thursday, April 11, 2013

Run commuting

Sometimes I like to get my miles in before work. I feel more energized and relaxed going into the day and have way more time to make dinner and eat before 8:30pm unlike days when I try to run after work. It also means I can try to get to yoga class, go lift or even grab a drink with a friend. Plus, who doesn't love running through downtown SF and along the Embarcadero in the morning? It's gorgeous and not crowded. I love it.


SO pretty!
Usually I just take the bus to the office, drop off my bag and head out for a run. This means I need to leave the house by 7:15 in order to get to work, go for a run and shower. (I am lucky enough to work at an office with a locker room.) Lately, when I do this I noticed a ton of run commuters. At first I thought it was a little lame to run to work with a backpack on you back, but I thought I would put my snowshoe day pack to the test and run to work to see how much more time I could save and how running with a pack was.

Tuesday I geared up and decided I wanted to get four miles in (I only work 2.5 miles from my apartment) so I mapped a route, packed my bag and hit the streets. The first two miles were fun and then by mile two and a half the pack started to get a tiny bit annoying but it was definitely manageable. I got to work so fast that I decided I was going to try it again today.

This time I packed a little lighter and had no problem at all with the backpack. I took the faster route (2.65 miles) and got to work/showered/made breakfast and was at my desk all in 40 minutes. Woohooo!

Now, obviously running 2.65 miles a day during the week for marathon training isn't going to cut it. But, this was definitely a fun, fast was to get to the office and get some miles in. I am going to make it part of my routine now that the sun is out earlier and the temps are warming.

Next on my list? Maybe find a better suited pack for run commuters. Mine is teeny and I can't fit my lunch in it too well with all my other stuff. Any recommendations?

Happy running, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment